Today is Uganda's Tarehe Sita national holiday (Swahili for the 6th).

For last years celebration, the Daily Monitor wrote: "Tarehe Sita is
celebrated on 6th February every year to mark the National Resistance
Army’s first attack on Kabamba barracks on 6th February 1981 which resulted
into a five year bush war that led the NRM to power in 1986."

A New Vision editorial put the matter this way: "In 1986, National
Resistance Army rebels liberated Ugandans from a Government backed by a
Neo-colonial army that was synonymous with extra-judicial killings,
violence and many other atrocities against the very people they were
supposed to defend and protect."

For 5 years the NRA fought the Obote government that was backed by UNLA
(Uganda National Lberation Army). This was the army that fought Amin
alongside Tanzanian forces.
It was defeated on January 25th 1986.

The Army Commander today General Katumba Wamala has been largely
non-partisan even during the time he served as Police Inspector General.

Comparably, the current IGP has made the words 'Police State' a bigger
reality today.

However a recent comment by the Army Chief asking politicians not to tell
lies about the sorry state of government hospitals has put him on the spot
for interfering in campaign politics as we approach election day scheduled
for February 18th 2016.

The Observer newspaper wrote an editorial for the 2015 Tarehe Sita
celebrations where they said:"The UPDF registered tremendous success in
Somalia and made Uganda proud. There might still be disagreement as to
whether the soldiers should have been deployed there in the first place
because of the casualties sustained, and the related terrorist attacks in
Kampala in 2010. But there is no doubt they have done a good job. Mogadishu
was a no-go area when they moved in but now the city is largely secure. The
UPDF must also be credited for driving out Joseph Kony’s Lord’s Resistance
Army. However, the officers and men need to ponder the critical need to
transit from a politically partisan force to a truly national army.
The umbilical cord joining the army and the regime mustn't exist."

I would like to add here that by now we should have ensured that never
again should the guns of the national army be pointed towards civilians,
whether a soldier is on Peace-Keeping duties abroad, protecting this
country from foreign invaders, or during general elections.
And we all agree that this task requires national resolve and proper
leadership. Otherwise soldiers will increasingly be subject to orders that
lead them to the very ills the political leaders say they fought Obote
forces for.

Hussein Lumumba Amin.
Kampala.
6/02/2016