When I decided to join politics as an independent, it was a decision I
weighed critically for 4 long years (since 2012). I could have stood on any
party ticket during the recent fraudulent elections. But ultimately I chose
not to contest. I outlined the reasons a few months ago. But in regards to
party politics, I determined that it wouldn't be practical for an
ideologically independent thinker like myself to maintain integrity and the
freedom to constructively criticize any matters concerning Uganda when
there is a party line to tow. First there is a disconnect between the
political ideals we hear, and the realities that transpire. Secondly, as a
hands on person, I tend to put action on what I preach, and that is a
practice that the party politics I see can't keep up with for reasons that
I could discuss another day.
I usually focus on specific governance issues that involve economic
development, freedoms, regional integration, individual rights, justice and
the trembling democracy. Aren't these the core political imperatives that
need attention today?
And though I have the right to join any political party if I deem it's
patriotism and ideological foundation solid for the country's long term
stability, my heart is currently comfortable worrying solely for Uganda as
a nation rather than for a party's separate interests on top. What if the
two are conflicting?
I presently await for our politics to shun selfish escapism, and do more to
unite Ugandans. This includes honestly and selflessly facing all past,
present day, and future issues that affect our country. A task that isn't
for the faint-hearted who dread their true past.
Meanwhile, politically I remain a friend to every Ugandan, a friend to all
our regional neighbours, and a friend to all friends of Africa.

Hussein Lumumba Amin