Fellow Ugandans,

It was nice to read that Church House on the main Kampala road has
been renamed "St. Janan Luwum House" by the Anglican Church.
In exercising our right to respond to the story, particularly on the
serious accusation of murder, we would first like to have it on public
record that together with Mapeera House and the National Mosque in Old
Kampala, these three premises were part of the Indian properties
nationalized by a nationalist and pan-Africanist President Idi Amin
who then selflessly and patriotically redistributed them to Ugandans
from all faiths and all tribes including the three main faiths, the
Anglican Church, the Protestant Church and the Muslim Supreme Council
respectively.
Clearly these properties have never been returned to their original
Indian owners as the Ugandan people and the international community
are made to believe.
However today's young Ugandans can now quietly discover that the new
Church House premises (now St Janan Luwum House) were once generously
donated to the Church by Amin more than four decades ago.
At the time, his government also contributed generously to building
the Pope Paul Memorial center, Rubaga in memory of the Holy Father's
first visit to Uganda several years earlier (1969).
I personally was present as President Amin lay the now disappeared
foundation stone and cut the ribbon.
In a few weeks from now it will be St Janan Luwum day. On February
16th 1977, an officer called Sgt. Moses Okello hailing from Acholi,
was driving a vehicle with three occupants from the famous Nile
Mansions hotel, a world class hotel and international conference
complex built by President Amin in 1975.
Okello had been told to take the three passengers to their homes and
bring them back for a meeting with Amin the next morning.
About an hour after they left, President Amin received the sad phone
call that an incident had happened and all the three occupants were
dead.
What happened?
President Idi Amin first inquired with his security chief then
personally visited Moses Okello who had a fractured leg plus other
injuries, and was being treated at Mulago hospital under police guard.
Amin interrogated Moses Okello, and asked the officer how the three
persons died.
The sergeant explained that as he drove them to their homes as ordered
after the Nile Gardens public inquiry, they attempted to strangle him,
probably with the intention of escaping with the vehicle. In the
scuffle, they got into a head-on collision with another on-coming
vehicle. This was at the junction between the now Sheraton hotel
(service entrance) and Kampala club.
His assailants were Erinayo Oryema, Janan Luwum and Oboth Ofumbi.
It is reported that he then pulled out his service weapon and shot his
assailants, otherwise it was him who was being strangled to death.
For decades Sgt. Moses Okello lived quietly in Torit, South Sudan. He
then moved to the capital Juba where he lives today.
It is quite concerning that nobody ever thought to interview him about
the incident.
Most media have preferred discussing the "Fake News" by Henry Kyemba
and another opportunist called Lawoko. People who were nowhere near
the security services, neither were they in the vehicle. In fact Mr.
Lawoko was working in Radio Uganda that day as director dispatching
his journalists to cover the Nile hotel public hearing, but then
writes a book claiming he was imprisoned in the "dungeons of
Nakasero". His own colleagues have reported this fact on record.
Possibly he feared to be seen as someone who had worked in the Amin
government because the subsequent Tanzanian led regimes might have
summarily killed him. Therefore he wrote a book claiming to be "an
Amin victim". Many other people have played victims with similar lies
and crocodile tears so as to survive the wrath of the Tanzanians and
their
deadly Ugandan exile cronies who went on a bloody rampage after the
1979 war. The ensuing chaos included multiple successive coups,
looting, war crimes, and genocide for an entire decade where a million
Ugandans are estimated to have died.
On 16th February 1977, the real last person to see the three
assailants alive was Moses Okello. He is the one who reportedly shot
them.There are claims that he might have done so deliberately for
other purposes, including that he could have been a double agent who
also served Obote's political tribalism interests to discredit the
Amin government.
I have persisted in asking for a forensic investigation of the shots
fired. Especially at the time when the reburial was being organized a
year ago.
But in 1977, the Amin government investigation failed to find any
evidence that disproved Moses Okello's statement, and to this day
there is no evidence that disputes Okello's self-defense claim.
To the best of my knowledge, the only other independent inquiry that
took place was by the World Council of Churches (1984?). They have
since locked-up their final report.
But what I would genuinely like to see is that Radio Uganda and Uganda
television bring out the entire video and audio recordings of the
public hearing that took place at Nile gardens. President Amin ordered
a live broadcast for transparency purposes so that the Ugandan people
and the international community witness exactly who and what was being
organized against the country. It was a case where the accused had
been caught red-handed with trucks of Italian made weapons. But that
is another issue altogether.
Personally I would like to see the Anglican Church (and journalists)
meeting Mr. Moses Okello himself face-to-face.
For four decades, many opportunists have been benefiting from
royalties accrued from best-selling books. They have been on global TV
interviews and enjoyed public fame from the events of 16th February
1977. All without giving a single coin to the bereaved families.
President Idi Amin had decided to discuss the treason case with the
deceased. He had chosen dialogue, leniency and diplomacy because the
case involved top public personalities, two of whom were senior
officials from his own government.
They were found to be in advanced stages of plans to create insecurity
with a multitude of weapons, and thereby disrupt the fragile harmony
that existed within the country at the time. Other rebel groups
leaders have since confessed they were also deliberately involved in
"covert operations". This simply means creating havoc, and a climate
of fear. The only way that is done is to engage in terror activities
that instill fear in the population.
Surprisingly they never fought the military or the police but for 8
years went mainly for soft targets, civilian officials and the elite
within Uganda.
The truck that I saw in February 1977 had a poorly painted Pepsi logo
with weapons hidden under a false floor. It was at Rubaga Cathedral
when we passed by to see the find. That is what caused the late Janan
Luwum's arrest.
It appears the aim was to create political, economic, and social
instability in the entire country.
If out of a 38 year fear of the liberators the older generation of
Ugandans has failed to speak truth since 1979, todays young generation
deserves the true facts about what exactly happened on that day.
On the sidelines of this national history, it was interesting to read
Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda, who is a co-chair for the Luwum day organizing
Commitee, stating how "the overthrow of Amin acted as a stabilizing
factor for Uganda". He probably must have forgotten that after the
Amin government, the so-called liberation created multiple wars,
consecutive genocides, and mass war crimes against humanity across the
whole country for almost two decades, with the skeletons of Luweero,
the Mukura massacre, the Mbarara Massacre, the Ombachi massacre, and
the Northern war being the most prominent still visible features.
An estimated 2 million Ugandans have died in conflict since the famous
liberation of 1979. That is without counting the staggering 6 million
Congolese killed, tortured, raped, or maimed during the infamous
invasions of their country by Uganda.
This is the exact same number as the Jews that were exterminated by
Hitler during World War II.
It is also closing in on the 10 million Congolese killed by King
Leopold II of Belgium during colonialism.
Impoverished Ugandans now owe $10 billion dollars to the Democratic
Republic of Congo for the plunder of the mineral-rich neighboring
African country.
Meanwhile I hear Ugandans discussing the mysterious death of
personalities like the late Andrew Kayiira who was shot by suspected
government assailants while at a purported friends home. The reasons
are unclear but it is widely claimed to have been a politically
motivated extra-judicial killing.
Incidentally today both the co-chairmen of the Luwum day organizing
committee have been active members in the regimes and counter-regimes
that thrived in the post-Amin era that saw the total collapse of both
the state and the economy, plus the resulting untold human cost to the
country. They called it liberation. Yet the period immediately after
President Amin is on record as the worst ever in Ugandan history,
where not a single new infrastructure
or public service was introduced until the late 90's, almost 20 years
of nothing but fighting, looting, mismanagement, stolen elections,
gross human rights abuses, corruption and tribalism as the order of
the day. Uganda's lowest Gross National Income (GNI) per capita on
record was around $240 dollars per person per year in 1983. That is
less than a dollar a day per Ugandan that each citizen had to live on
to raise their family with, including education and healthcare.
Maybe Mr. Olara Otunnu and Ndugu Rugunda require that I produce the
NRA's ten point program that depicts the kind of "fascist" governance
as is stated there-in. One that was rampant during the 5-year Luweero
bush war where the so-called "Liberators" fought viciously amongst
themselves after taking over from Amin? Mr. Otunnu might recall how
the regime he served ordered the infamous "Panda gari" operation
during that time where scores of innocent civilians suspected to be
NRA sympathizers were ruthlessly collected by UNLA soldiers around
Uganda never to be seen again. 500,000 people died in Luweero alone.
I never saw anything like that ever happen on civilians during the
Amin government. He loved the people and never deployed the army
against them even once.
The sight of Mr. Olara Otunnu.being free, alive and well, yet he was
an official in the criminal 1980's regimes is quite peculiar. Here he
is now also working as Co-chair of the organizing committee for Luwum
day.
He has also been the president of a party whose youth wing notoriously
slaughtered populations in areas that were deemed rebel strongholds
during the afore-mentioned 5-year bush war.
How such an entity (his political party) is still facilitated to
function publicly after inflicting so much pain and propagating so
much hate as official policy and ideology, is an issue that probably
explains best the impunity levels going around. It surely waters down
the organizing committees vow to uphold "values held by the late
Archbishop Janan Luwum".
Mind you Ambassador Otunnu once feigned his own death by writing to
the international media that a brilliant Makerere University student
named Olara Otunnu has been brutally murdered by a savage Amin.
Mr. Otunnu had an American friend the late Mr. Cyril Boyles Jr. whose
Ugandan widow still runs their tour agency in Kampala. Cyril sadly
passed away in Kampala in Jan. 2015. A black American teacher brought
to Uganda by Amin to help in the education sector and who in 1975
first designed the famous Amin T-shirts with a picture of President
Amin being carried by British Ugandans.
Cyril was shocked to find Otunnu alive in New York city months after
the disturbing press reports of Otunnu's death at the hands of Amin.
The American almost fled for dear life in fear of possibly having met
an Olara Otunnu ghost. Upon inquiring what happened, Cyril was
saddened to see Otunnu smile sheepishly without any clear honest
response.
Many people have similarly made careers and livelihoods out of lies
and tarnishing Amin's name.
In the course of the last 40 years we the Amin family have had the
most fictitious falsehoods, ridicule and mockery leveled against us.
Politicians just getting up and insulting us in public. But our
silence has been persistent. So I felt maybe we should issue a public
response that could help provide some truthful perspective on the
history of this country without conveniently overlooking some
incredibly callous chapters that the concerned parties
probably feel uncomfortable discussing, and thereby prefer that we all
keep focusing on Amin.
But to end on a more positive note, We sincerely wish the Anglican
Church good luck in the new building. We also hope that the organizing
committee is sensitive to what could be termed as discrimination.
Three people were caught in the same turmoil. Killed by the same Moses
Okello at the same time, on the same day. But only one gets a national
day named after him, and the same person now gets a building named
after him as well.
What the Oryema and Oboth Ofumbi families must be feeling can be
understood by any considerate person. My maternal Grandfather the late
Archdeacon Silas Adroa used to tell me how the Church must always be
the first to stand with the poor and the marginalized. I believe the
late Janan Luwum could have had similar values in the course of his
religious work.
I once proposed that we consider having one national day for all those
countless downtrodden, including prominent people, who have lost their
lives in our modern history since independence. However the idea has
not been looked into seriously as a conciliatory necessity for this
country. I am not sure but maybe some people prefer that certain
enmities/conflict continue. Which is quite a shortsighted perspective
given that we now almost all agree to vouch for development and growth
as Janan Luwum House is a good testimony to.
Lastly we hope that the co-chairpersons of the organizing committee
will be open to inviting the Amin family to say a few words to the
congregation during the St Janan Luwum Day celebrations on February
16th 2017.

Thank You and God Bless.

Daily Monitor story:
http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/Church-House-renamed-Janani-Luwum/688334-3780872-6kb540/index.html