As they play their last AFCON 2017 game today, I want to say thanks to the
vibrant Uganda Cranes players for their spirited participation.
I wish they had gotten the kind of support and preparation that has always
separated top winning teams from the rest. That is what would have gotten
them through the current group stages where they have been eliminated, and
maybe the Cranes would have gone all the way and finished second in the
entire Africa like the 1978 team under Field Marshal President Idi Amin.
I am sure FUFA will find it beneficial to consult those who were behind
that fantastic team success. That is why after getting his permission, I
publish this discussion that I had with Mr. Muhamad Seruwagi. He was the
person in charge of FUFA and Ugandan football back then. I take this
opportunity to thank him once again for the outstanding success and great
patriotic effort they made in 1978 that helped Ugandan football reach
continental heights. A level that the country has never again attained
since,l. Partly due to ignorance of the significance and unifying factors
behind sports. A source of national pride for countries around the world,
and sign of a vibrant healthy youth.
Mr. Seruwagi is willing to help the national team again. FUFA should work
with him. Possibly as a consultant. Especially that we now have to set our
sights on building an even stronger, more successful team as Uganda
prepares for an even bigger challenge: The FIFA World Cup, Russia 2018.