Dear UCC (Uganda Communications Commission),
I would like you to know that with the knowledge of criminals unregistered
mobile simcards switched off today, I am feeling more secure, and now
waiting to see if criminality and mysterious murders by an "infiltrated,
mafia police" will be a thing of the past.
I was fortunate that my status as a member of a First Family of the
Republic of Uganda did allow me to get my National Identification number
almost immediately (in less than a week) upon application, and I then
proceeded to re-register all my simcards as required even if I had
originally registered them using my official passport.
Meanwhile, I would like to hereby recognise the smooth, immediate, and
professional sms process established by the private mobile companies.
In stark contrast, at the government offices for the National ID
registration, ordinary Ugandans were lining up in their thousands in long
queues under the sun, including frail elderly persons, pregnant women and
mothers carrying their infant babies, the sickly who could not even stand
(John Kahwa of Kads band for example), and they were being told that they
would only first get the national ID numbers in a month, and then the card
itself in three months.
At the time I witnessed them in lines for hours if not for days, the
deadline was only a week away. So no matter when they started the new
re-registration process, they were not going to beat the deadline.
Obviously there is alot of IT catching up to do in order for public service
delivery to be as efficient and caring as their private sector counterparts.
The equipment procured for the national ID issuance and database is
actually more recent than the mobile companies.
The problem therefore can only be the professional inefficiency in
government departments.
Where it takes an entire month for them to register a Ugandan for a
national ID, it literally takes​ seconds to register on the commercial
mobile networks.
So UCC, please find a humane solution because all the 20 million mobile
subscribers are not criminals. Reports indicated that there were only four
people on two motorcycles the day the late Kaweesi was assassinated.
But with the unregistered simcard switching off accomplished today, let us
get back to your normal civilian duties.
I say "civilian duties" because Ugandans could be forgiven for thinking
that UCC is a branch of Military police with angry-looking, gun-totting,
trigger-happy directors in red berets zooming past at break-neck speed to
some real or imagined terrorist.
One literally has to remind him or herself that UCC is a civilian ICT
department. One whose primary job is to develop and support the growth of
the Information and Telecommunications sector.
For the last few years, the only words we keep hearing almost every month
from UCC is "banning" individuals from the media, or sending police to
"shut down" a media house, plus their one constant threat to ICT/media
companies of "withdrawing your licence".
This is the harrassing environment that media and telecoms businesses
operate in here in Uganda under the current regime.
Surely that cannot be enticing to foreign direct investment.
We never hear about UCC developing projects or engaging in activities that
attract those foreign investments, establish new indeginous companies,
employ youths, and expand the tax base of the Information and
Communications industry.
What is their plan to upgrade all the functions of the government into
secure electronic networks.
One only has to look at the government efforts in neighbouring Kenya to
realise that Uganda's UCC officials are ideologically still in the Obote
II/Okello era where their actual productivity and development output was
zero, and where they made no single physical contribution to the sector.
With the current UCC behaviour, no wonder Mobile companies are making
colossal losses and/or fleeing. The one telecom company directly under UCC,
namely Uganda Telecom, is reportedly actually collapsing. The major Libyan
partner has packed and left following four companies Orange, Celtel, Warid
and Zain whocwre now out, and I am yet to hear UCC's plan, if any, on how
to make tiny UTL, the once mighty national telecoms company, return to
profitability again in a market where even giants like MTN and Airtel are
sweating plasma to make profits and pay their colossal taxes.
Obviously, UCC's ideological confusion lends credence to the assumption
that they have never thought of the industries expansion and profitability
as the most important duty in their mandate. There is seemingly little or
no perspective on the broader national economics around the sector.
Kindly review your work ideologies, and priorities. If for some unknown
reason that is impossible, please let the Ugandan people know. The truth is
that there are many superqualified younger individuals out there in the
streets, some educated in advance ICT markets abroad, who could do your job.

By Hussein Lumumba Amin.
20/05/2017