Nic Ferrier wrote:

> >The official web-site is http://wget.sunsite.dk/
> >Yes, there should be a link from the GNU site.
> >[List] how can it be added ?
>
> sign the project up on savannah (http://savannah.gnu.org).
>
> That will provide you with a nice management interface (based on CVS)
> for changing the wget tree.
>
> >$ wget --help
> >GNU Wget 1.7, a non-interactive network retriever.
> >Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...
> >Download:
> >  -t,  --tries=3DNUMBER           set number of retries to NUMBER (0
> >                                  unlimits).
> >  -T,  --timeout=3DSECONDS        set the read timeout to SECONDS.
> >  -w,  --wait=3DSECONDS           wait SECONDS between retrievals.
> >       --waitretry=3DSECONDS      wait 1...SECONDS between retries of a
> >                                  retrieval.
> >Which of this were you using ?
>
> I tried sveral things, including:
>
>    wget -t 2 -T 10 -w 1
>
> But, be honest, is the -T option actually a *connect* timeout?

You're right it's not 8-(
$ wget -d -T 5 http://192.168.1.254/
DEBUG output created by Wget 1.7 on cygwin.

parseurl ("http://192.168.1.254/";) -> host 192.168.1.254 -> opath  ->
dir  -> file  -> ndir
newpath: /
--22:23:46--  http://192.168.1.254/
           => `index.html'
Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80...
connect: Attempt to connect timed out without establishing a connection
Closing fd 3
Retrying.

--22:24:08--  http://192.168.1.254/
  (try: 2) => `index.html'
Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80...
[hack@DUR0N2000 webs]$ wget -d -T 5 http://192.168.1.254/

--22:24:19--  http://192.168.1.254/
           => `index.html'
Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80...
[...]

$ wget -d -T 5 http://hostname/
DEBUG output created by Wget 1.7-dev on linux-gnu.

parseurl ("http://hostname/";) -> host hostname -> opath  -> dir  ->
file  -> ndir
newpath: /
--22:36:48--  http://hostname/
           => `index.html'
Connecting to hostname:80... Caching hostname <-> 192.168.1.254

connect: Connection timed out
Closing fd 3
Retrying.

--22:39:58--  http://hostname/
  (try: 2) => `index.html'
Connecting to hostname:80... Found hostname in host_name_address_map:
192.168.1.254

Note: output edited "hostname" is a host that doesn't answer on port 80.
Two different systems on two different networks, that might explain the
difference in timeout times.

Well, Daniel Stenberg maybe you should try to get your cURL
implementation accepted. It's bad when other packages maintainers are
more active on the list that Wget's 8-(

> >And please the next time send bugreports including debug output (wget
> >-d =2E..)
>
> I don't think it would do you much good in this case... but I can send
> you one if you want.

Likely not, but it would include the Wget version and if that's not 1.7
then the standard recommendation would be to update. You'll be surpised
how many bug-reports there is related to older version like 1.5.3 or
even a couple to 1.4.5 8-)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn