On 2001-12-03 19:16 +0100, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> > I find describing HP-UX 10 as a modern OS mildly amusing. :-)
>
> How old is it?  I used to work on HPUX 9, and I'm not old by most
> definitions of the word.

Around 1995.

> > I completely disagree with your perception that snprintf() is to be
> > taken for granted. It's only since C99 that's it's part of C.
>
> It's been a part of C since C99, that's true.  But Wget relies on a
> lot of functionality not strictly in C, from alloca to the socket
> interface.
>
> Also, snprintf has become a big security thing recently, when a number
> of exploits was based on overflowing a buffer written to by sprintf.
> The pressure on vendors might be responsible for some of them being
> unusually swift in providing the function.
>
> But yes, I know I can't take it for granted, hence the provided
> replacement.

Yes, I'm with you on that. We have exactly the same problems as
you here and I for one wish snprintf() had been there from the
start.

> > But to answer your question, no HP-UX doesn't have it (neither in
> > the headers nor in libc).
>
> HPUX 11 doesn't have it either?  Interesting.

HP-UX 10 doesn't but HP-UX 11 has it, according to docs.hp.com.

The work you did on the list of already downloaded URLs seems to
have been efficient ; Wget's long standing tendency to "forget"
files in recursive downloads appears to be gone. A million
thanks to Hrvoje, the contributors and the testers.

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
(Not speaking for my employer, etc.)