On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Andre Majorel wrote:

> > No, I mean downloading multiple files from the SAME uri in parallel,
> > instead of downloading files one-by-one-by-one (thus saving time on a
> > fast pipe).
>
> This doesn't make sense to me. When downloading from a single server, the
> bottleneck is generally either the server or the link ; in either case,
> there's nothing to win by attempting several simultaneous transfers. Unless
> there are several servers at the same IP and the bottleneck is the server,
> not the link ?

That would also be violating the RFCs in regard on to how to behave as a Good
User Agent (tm). Never use more than at most 2 connections to the same host
from a single client.

What does spead up things though, is persistant connections. One might also
argue that pipelining can do a little too.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77