Herold Heiko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> But if I understand this correctly (sorry, sources not checked, foot
> in mouth ecc.) with -k wget still needs to correct the html files
> later, when it knows what has been downloaded and what not. So it
> can't print the file as soon as downloaded, only at the end.

You are correct.  `-k' would be at odds with any kind of streaming
simply because it needs to process all the HTMLs after the fact.
Regardless of other things, that breaks the streaming.

>> On technical grounds, it might be hard to shoehorn Wget's mode of
>> operation into what `tar' expects.  For example, Wget might need to
>> revisit directories in random order.  I'm not sure if a tar stream
>> is allowed to do that.
>
> A simple |sort should fix that,

You're misunderstanding me.  In my thought experiment, I meant that
Wget output might be a tar stream itself, not a list of file names to
feed to `tar'.

> I agree with the idea "do one thing and do it well", after all we
> are not talking about a windows gui try-to-do-everything program
> here. Either I did not understand you correctly, or a simple list of
> files should be enough for every case.

You didn't understand me, but you proposed something far better.  Yes,
something equivalent to `find''s `-print'/`-print0' would actually
help the original poster.

> Or did you mean something else with "serialization of the result" ?

A tar stream is an example of serialization of a set of files and
directories.  It turns an on-disk structure into a stream of bytes
that can be transferred over a pipe or a network in order to re-create
something resembling the original structure.