On Tue, 21 May 2002, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

Now, something occurs to ME.  There really SHOULD be an alternate means of
prompting the user for a password (i.e. something which is not readily
visible through ps, (or saved to a history file) I mean REALLY.  wget
shows username:*password* in its output, is this supposed to make us think
the program is protecting that password from prying eyes in some way?

Ideally like with some browsers, if you specify ftp://username@domain, you
get a prompt.