Mauro Tortonesi wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>
>> Mauro Tortonesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> you should probably not bother writing it.
>>
>> That's not quite true.
>>
>>> from the PATCHES file included in the wget distribution:
>>>
>>> ** ChangeLog policy.
>>> --------------------
>>>
>>> Each patch should be accompanied by an update to the appropriate
>>> ChangeLog file.  *** Please don't mail patches to ChangeLog because they
>>> have an extremely high rate of failure; just mail us the new part of
>>> the ChangeLog you added. *** [I added the highlight]
>>
>> Perhaps the wording should have been more clear, but this means:
>> please do write the ChangeLog entry and send it, but don't send an
>> actual DIFF of the old and new ChangeLog, because such diffs don't
>> apply cleanly more often than not.
>>
>> That is reiterated here:
>>
>>> Patches without a ChangeLog entry will be accepted, but this creates
>>> additional work for the maintainers, so *** please do write the
>>> ChangeLog entries. ***
>
> you're right, hrvoje. when i answered jeremy's mail i was in a hurry. what
> i wanted to say is:
>
> you should probably not bother writing a correctly formatted ChangeLog,
> but just send a simple report of the changes you've made.

That contradicts Hrvoje, and really doesn't make sense.

Jeremy *should* write a properly formatted ChangeLog. As author of his
changes, he is the best person to summarize exactly what they do. Why not do
so in the standard form of a ChangeLog entry? To do otherwise is to push
more work onto Hrvoje.

Max.