Laura Worthington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am confused as to how wget supports keep alive.  I am using 1.8.2.
> Persistent connections are part of HTTP 1.1, but wget is using HTTP
> 1.0.

Persistent connections were available prior to HTTP/1.1, although they
were not universally implemented.  Wget uses the `Keep-Alive' request
header to request persistent connections, and understands both the
HTTP/1.0 `Keep-Alive' and the HTTP/1.1 `Connection: keep-alive'
response header.

Most servers support both styles of persistent connections because
HTTP/1.0 clients were in extremely wide use when those servers were
designed and implemented.  (This is the case with Apache, but probably
also with IIS and other major players in the field.)  A new generation
of servers might be expected to only support persistent connections
when talking to HTTP/1.1 clients, but then again Wget will get
HTTP/1.1 support at some point too.