Alain Bench <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello Hrvoje,
>
>  On Friday, November 7, 2003 at 11:50:53 PM +0100, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>
>> Wget uses the `Keep-Alive' request header to request persistent
>> connections, and understands both the HTTP/1.0 `Keep-Alive' and the
>> HTTP/1.1 `Connection: keep-alive' response header.
>
> This doesn't seem to work together with --timestamping: Each HEAD
> and each possible GET uses a new connection.

I think the difference is that Wget closes the connection when it
decides not to read the request body.  For example, it closes on
redirections because it (intentionally) ignores the body.

With the HEAD method you never know when you'll stumble upon a CGI
that doesn't understand it and that will send the body anyway.  But
maybe it would actually be a better idea to read (and discard) the
body than to close the connection and reopen it.

> Without --timestamping Wget keeps "Reusing fd 3." and closing it
> only once every 6 files (first + 5 more).

This might be due to redirections.  Look out for the exact
circumstances when Wget closes (or doesn't reuse) connections and
you'll probably notice it.