From: Hrvoje Niksic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 6:04 PM
To: Post, Mark K
Cc: Peter GILMAN; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: problem with LF/CR etc.

"Post, Mark K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That is _really_ ugly, and perhaps immoral.  Make it an option, if
> you must.  Certainly don't make it the default behavior.

An option for each corner case would very quickly lead to severe
option bloat.  --strict-comments could be taken as a precedent, but
parsing comments is a widely-known and well-understood issue with
HTML.

Do you propose that squashing newlines would break legitimate uses of
unescaped newlines in links?  Or are you arguing on principle that
such practices are too heinous to cater to by default?  If it's the
latter, I share your indignation, but I believe that in adding an
option only makes the matter in a sense worse, because it makes the
program harder to use, while *still* catering to the brokenness.

IMHO we should either cater to this by default or not at all.

> Shudder....

A-men.