Note:
Mail redirected from bug to normal wget list.

> H> For getting Wget you might want to link directly to
> H> ftp://ftp.sunsite.dk/projects/wget/windows/wget-1.9.1b-complete.zip,
> OK, but too bad there's no stable second link .../latest.zip so I
> don't have to update my web page to follow the link.
Yep, this would make things much easier for applications like yours.
However, I think the current wget version can to all you'll ever
need for that purpose.

> Furthermore, they don't need SSL, but I don't see any 'diet'
> versions...
Right, Heiko is so kind to compile the SSL enabled wget binaries.
If you need it without SSL, you would have to compile it yourself.
But since you don't have windows...

> H> Oh, and the Windows users should preferrably be ones who know how to
> H> run a command-line application, but I assume you've got that covered.
> Exactly not.  I recall being able to get to a little window where one
> enters a command... Anyway, can you give an example of all the steps
> needed to do wget -x -i fetch_list.txt -B
> http://debian.linux.org.tw/debian/pool/main/

Hm, why don't you do the following:
download wget and the ssl libraries, unzip them on a windows box
(I know, you don't have it, but someone on this planet you know, should have
it,
I heared it is fairly wide spread).
Unzip them to a sensible directory like c:\wget\
add a startupdate.bat file to the directory
this file should read something like
wget -x -i fetch_list.txt -B http://debian.linux.org.tw/debian/pool/main/
Now, pack everything into a zip again, preserving full folder info.
(I always use Power Archiver 6.1, the last freeware version.)
now create a self-extracting archive from it.
Distribute the archive.exe to your "buddies"
all they have to do is
a) doubleclick on the archive
b) browse to c:\wget\ with Windows explorer and
c) doubleclick on startupdate.bat
d) afterwards, do the CD writing

Thinking about it, you could distribute wget with the
SSL and startupdate.bat file unzipped on a 1.44MB floppy disk.

CU
Jens

http://www.jensroesner.de/wgetgui/

--
+++ Mailpower für Multimedia-Begeisterte: http://www.gmx.net/topmail +++
250 MB Mailbox, 1 GB Online-Festplatte, 100 FreeSMS. Jetzt kostenlos testen!