On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> Herold Heiko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> I am greatly surprised.  Do you really believe that Windows users
> outside an academic environment are proficient in using the compiler?
> I have never seen a home Windows installation that even contained a
> compiler, the only exception being ones that belonged to professional
> C or C++ developers.

This is what Cygwin is all about. Once you open up the Cygwin bash
shell, all you have to do with most source code is "configure; make;
make install". I am not a programmer and have been compiling programs
for several years. As long as the program copiles cleanly, there
shouldn't be a problem under Windows. I don't have any idea of how many
Windows users would try to patch the code if it didn't compile "out of
the box."

> The very idea that a Windows user might grab source code and compile a
> package is strange.  I don't remember ever seeing a Windows program
> distributed in source form.

See, for example, "htmldoc" which converts html into a pdf file. The
free version is only distributed as source code. Or see "consoletelnet",
distributed both as source and binary.
                        Doug

--
Doug Kaufman