Good news for wget. Building from the source worked.
So for some reason, either my system is screwed or the binary with FC5 was
misbuilt. Seems hard to believe latter but this box was a pretty bare,
standard FC3 and was just a straight, easy upgrade to FC5.
In either case do you know of any settings that would affect this so I
might better know what to say/search on the fedora lists?
Thanks for your help.