Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Mauro and I are subscribed to it.  The list served its purpose while
>> Wget was actively maintained.  It's up to you whether to preserve it
>> or replace it with a bug tracker patch submission process.
>
> Given the low incidence of patch submission, is there any reason why we
> can't accept patch submissions on the main list?

I think the original reasoning was that patches can be large and some
people don't like receiving large attachments in the mail.  Also, it
would (in theory) have been easier for someone only interested in the
patches, such as Linux distribution maintainers, to only follow the
patches list.  But with the current mail capacities and with the
advent of public version control servers, that doesn't seem necessary.

> Would it be useful to implement the same authentication process for
> wget-patches; or was it intended to make things easier for
> "drive-by" patchers?

I think it would be perfectly fine to implement the same level of
protection there.  In fact, most free software mailing lists are much
more annoying: they require you to *subscribe* (or register into a bug
tracker) merely to send a bug report or a patch.  Compared to that
hassle, asking for a confirmation email is negligible.