a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
WhatIsThis Week
December 6, 2002 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this e-mail
  In this Issue
>> From the Editor: Improve your memory in three seconds or less
>> Featured Topic from Search390.com: Data center futures
>> Reader Feedback: Tabloid headline winner revealed!

  Improve your memory in three seconds or less
by Margaret Rouse, Associate Editor

It's true that big things come in small packages. Last week my husband brought me home one of the best gifts I've ever received. He gave me my first keychain drive. Life will never be the same.

A keychain drive is a memory module about the size of a highlighter. It's so slim and lightweight that it's designed to be put on keychain. When you pull off the cap part that attaches to your keychain, you see a standard USB plug on the "highlighter" part of the module. You just plug the stick-like "highlighter part" directly into your USB port and VOILA -- your computer immediately recognizes it as an external drive.

The keychain drive my husband gave me is called DiskOnKey, although there are many other competitive products with similar names. My USB DiskOnKey has a 32bit processor, uses flash memory, and is available in capacities ranging from 8MB to 512MB. (Prices range from $29 to $499.) The one my husband gave me has 128MB of memory and cost around $100. It's worth every penny.

My keychain memory works just like my clunky external Zip drive, except it's not clunky and I didn't need to install any drivers. There are no cables, no power cords to remember (or forget) when I'm traveling. I can move files between my PC at work and our Mac at home in about five seconds. I'll never have to format a disk again.

Do you know what that means? For me, it means no more dragging my laptop around. No more long security checks at the airport. No more walking into a building dragging extra tech baggage behind me, looking like Quasimodo. No more hunting around for the right connection cable. My keychain memory is waterproof, has no moving parts, and is as light as a feather. I can store everything I'll need for a presentation on it – doesn't matter if it's text, audio, or video. When I arrive at my destination, I can just move everything over from my keychain memory to my host's computer in two seconds. I don't need an Internet connection and it doesn't matter what OS my host's computer uses.

The 8MB keychain memory modules are going to be my "gift-of-choice" for the holidays this year.

This week we'd like to know: If the sky was the limit, what tech gift would you most like to receive?
http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.1dcfb0f7/71

Learn more:

USB
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214166,00.html

flash memory
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci212130,00.html

Memory Stick
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci214628,00.html

memory card
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci836184,00.html

DiskOnKey
http://www.ebabble.net/html/diskonkey.html

 Featured Site: Search390.com
FEATURED TOPIC: DATA CENTER FUTURES
Get the newsletter that helps IT Managers see the future of the enterprise data center. Subscribe by December 6, 2002 for a chance to win a BlackBerry handheld! For more information...
http://search390.com/r/0,,7514,00.htm

BUSHELS OF WHITE PAPERS FOR 390 USERS ORGANIZED NEATLY
We have aggregated and list by category, subject (title), author, and date several hundred very recent white papers related to System 390, z/OS, and the general 390 environment. They are here...
http://search390.techtarget.com/whitepapers/0,293835,sid10,00.html?Offer=tnwn1

 Reader Feedback: Tabloid headline winner revealed!
by Lowell Thing, Editor

Last week, we invited readers to submit the kind of headline they might be apt to read in a supermarket tabloid if the entire world had turned itself into pure "information technology" ("Operating system arrested for illegal operation," and so forth.) After an earnest evaluation, we are able to announce today that the winner is Randy Saucerman, an engineer at Pioneer Electronics USA. His winning headline was:

SCSI driver goes through BackOffice Windows and hits PCI bus; film at 11!

Randy's winning headline reminded us that the tabloid newspaper now has television and even Web site counterparts (and we plan to tune in ourselves at 11). Randy, congratulations! Your new TechTarget cap is in the mail!

Thanks also to James Coby, Ralph Ellis, Fred Frenz, Allen Friedman, Dan Giles, E. Bud Gillaspie, David Gillett, and Geri Wright. Your entries suggest that you have vivid imaginations and that you could always fall back on tabloid headline writing as a second career!

** Don't forget that Monday, December 9th is Grace Hopper Day, our first-ever international IT holiday. We invite you to celebrate by wearing a "unique identifier". Grace Hopper, if you recall, liked to call her Admiral's uniform her "identifier" and used it to remind listeners at her lectures that every record in a computer must have an identifier to be able to store data and retrieve it later. If you're a Nascar fan, wear your Nascar tie on Monday. If you love to swing dance, wear your zoot suit to work. Drop us a line and let us know what you'll be wearing as your "unique identifier"! You can write to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED].

This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 19 industry-specific Web sites.

Whatis.com contacts:
Lowell Thing, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Margaret Rouse, Associate Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid9,00.html
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".

Copyright 2002 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.