On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:21:40 -0800, Anne van Kesteren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Quoting "Eugene T.S. Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
<DIV> is  no more semantic that <I>, <B>, or <CENTER>, yet they
have their uses.
<snip>

You snipped the part about <div> not being in the proposal for HTML5 which is
pretty important imho.

I didn't realize that. I must have skimmed through pretty quickly. I always assumed that <DIV> would be included, despite what everybody meant to say.

What would its semantics be as opposed to <div>? Do you have a concrete proposal
as how <center> would work?

I don't think that it is semantic at all.

That in itself is a reason not to include it.

I don't think that we can have a purely semantic markup language. If we can't then there is no harm in suggesting non-semantic elements.

It's just that sometimes it would save us some hassles of having to type:

#intro{text-align:center}

<center> does _very_ different things from what you just described.

I think that that was a typo. I meant:

#intro{text-align:center}

Hopefully I typed what I meant this time. What different things were you referring to?

<DIR> could be used for listing files. If you want to print out the files of a directory and its subdirectories, then you could do that with <DIR>.

Well yeah, and what if I want to list vegetables? I think the element is to
specific and not really that useful.

There is no vegetable list, but there is <DIR>, and I figure that as long as it's there, we should leave it as an option. We don't have to create a element for every single concept, but I don't think that we should get rid of any, as long as they are there and are properly defined.

I seem to get the impression that my suggestions are being categorized as either "too specific" and "not semantic enough". It seems that I need to improve my people skills.

You were talking about consistency with XHTML. Yet there has been no
recommendation or standard (whatever you prefer) that contains such an element so the argument is bogus.

Doesn't this count for something?
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:1ZSEeqx7LUwJ:www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml2-20020805/mod-list.html+html+nl+element&hl=en&client=opera

The first Google search that I did was for "html nl element", and the result was on the first page.

--
Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong