Le 30 oct. 2006 à 15:33, Ian Hickson a écrit :

    * note and reference for footnotes, endnotes, and sidenotes (not
aside in “HTML5”)

Yes, this is an area where document and converter authors currently need to come up with their own class-based hacks. Ideally a continuous media user agent could show footnotes in context so that they don't become de
facto endnotes.

If anyone has any ideas on this, please post them to the list. (The CSS group is also looking at footnotes closely.) One thing to consider when looking at footnotes is "would the title="" attribute handle this use case as well as what I'm proposing?". If the answer is "yes", or "almost", then
it's probably not a good idea to introduce the new feature.

Would the title attribute be suffisent? I don't think so. The main problem being that an attribute cannot contain any markup (links, emphasis, paragraphs?).

I'm all for a syntax for footnotes (and sidenotes, and endnotes). The question is what do we want a footnote markup to accomplish? Minimally, it should associate a note with its context so that you know there is a note and that you can refer to it if you want. This definition encompass a couple of methods to do such notes that are in use currently, in HTML and elsewhere.

1. One of them, mostly used with sidenotes, is to have the note directly in the text:

       in the margin</span> and some other text.</p>

With pretty trivial CSS, you can then put all the sidenotes in the margin. With some javascript[1], you can also create a list of footnotes at the bottom of the page. This method is also consistent with how word processors treat footnotes: as distinct pieces of text inserted punctually at some place in the main text but which are rendered elsewhere.

 [1]: http://www.brandspankingnew.net/specials/footnote.html

2. Some syntaxes meant to be written directly by humans, like Latex, also allow you to defer the note content until a later time to make things more readable. In these cases, you put a marker in the text, then associate the marker with the note content which can be placed elsewhere in the document. This make the text more readable. My own text-to-HTML tool (PHP Markdown Extra, semi-private beta version 1.1) use such a syntax:

    Paragraph linked to a footnote[^1].

    [^1]: This is the footnote content.

    Some other paragraph.

I'm not aware of anyone doing this for footnotes or sidenotes in HTML; it doesn't seem very practical to style either.

3. The last method of expressing footnotes in HTML is to create markers in the text and put the footnotes in an ordered list at the bottom of the page. For instance, my text-to-HTML tool generates this markup from the above example:

    <hr />

    <ol>
    <li id="fn:1">
    </li>
    </ol>

This provides a trivial way to style footnotes as footnote, it'll even looks good unstyled and is completely backward compatible.

 - - -

Before defining a markup for footnotes or sidenotes, I think it'd be a good idea to see what goals the syntax should fulfill. Is backward compatibility one of them, or should we always rely on the browser capabilities to relocate footnotes where they should be, or should we allow both?

Some other things to take into consideration:

* Footnotes should probably not be allowed to escape their enclosing article element. For instance, if you have a couple of weblog articles on your main page, each article having some footnotes, it'd probably not be a good idea to have footnotes from all articles mixed together in the same list.

* Although not necessarily very common, some people like to put multiple paragraphs, lists, and some other block-level elements in footnotes and sidenotes (more often seen in sidenotes in books). I think it'd be a good idea to allow that in the markup.

* Sidenotes may not be achievable in the browsers's default stylesheet without adding a side margin. They could always be displayed as float, but it seems to me that footnotes would be the best fallback mechanism. Sidenotes are also impractical on small screens too. That's why I believe that, ideally, footnotes and sidenotes should share the same markup, styling is what should make the difference.

I'm not yet proposing any markup, I want to start the discussion on what it should accomplish, and what is realistic.

Michel Fortin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.michelf.com/