Le 21 févr. 2007 à 11:39, Ian Hickson a écrit :
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Vlad Alexander (xhtml.com) wrote:

...We could require editors to do this, but since nobody knows how to
do it, it would be a stupid requirement. ...

Is it due to a flaw in HTML that it is difficult to build authoring
tools, such as WYSIWYG editors, that generate markup rich in semantics,
embody best-practices and can be easily used by non-technical people?

No, I think it's just something that is fundamentally hard. People think visually, trying to ask a Web designer to think in terms of (e.g.) headers instead of font sizes is just something that WYSIWYG implementors and UI
researchers simply haven't solved yet. Personally I don't think it's a
lost cause, but we're just not there yet.

"Web designer" the term is too broad.
There will be people concerned by markup structures, some not. Exactly the same way when people are using MS Office Word, which has two main modes: visual and structural. Structural mode in word helps to achieve indexes of figures, table of contents, automatic styling.

I do not think it relies on categories of people but more on ROI (Return On Investment), if someone has benefits structuring information, they will do it. If there are no *direct and personal* benefits, they will not do it, except if constrained.

Constrains can be "controlled editing" for example. What I mean is the type of editing, there is in an Addressbook, in a library software, in Web services with UIs driven by AJAX (photo services, messaging, calendaring, etc.)

Constraining someone to make structural editing if he/she doesn't need it would be like constraining someone to structure the free note taking on the back of a paper envelop or how to organize a collage and text diary. It is likely to fail on massive scale. The question in this case is HTML the best technology to address sites like MySpace (scrapbook diary).

Since much of the content on the Web is created using such authoring
tools, can we ever achieve a semantically rich and accessible Web?

There will always be a continuum of sites from the unusable to the very accessible. As with all fields of human endeavour, there will always be
the highly competent Web designers who understand fundamentally how to
build device-independent sites that cater to all kinds of users, and there will always be the inexperienced and ignorant Web designers who think only in terms of their own personal experience, targetting a specific browser
on a specific computer without taking into account any other potential
user experience.

Probably the best we can do is design the language to make "the right
thing" easier, and invest more heavily in education. In this regard HTML
is in the same boat as more important subjects; I imagine that as we
improve the quality of education in general, understanding of the
importance of accessibility and related topics will improve as well.

+1

  QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
     *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***