Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

For example, forms sporting those "By submitting this form you accept our __terms of service__ and __privacy policy__" links I mentioned earlier are quite often sent over HTTPS. These are not cached by mainstream browsers, because the browser vendors have caved to bank Webmasters who threatened to block them if they were too HTTP-compliant. So if such a browser was configured to open those links in the same window, it would necessarily forget everything you'd entered in the form, which would be annoying.

I suppose a logical behavior might therefore be for such UAs to open /all/ new links out of a HTTPS form in a new window, target attribute or no target attribute.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis