On 6/25/07, Spartanicus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Personally I detest Java (resource hog, slow as wading through molasses)
and don't have it installed, so forgive my potential ignorance.

Don't we all hate java? ;-)

Why
create an HTML <video> element with the express purpose of supporting
video natively in clients if video needs to be coded as a Java applet
with Java handling it?

No need to encode as a java applet - all you need to do is put the
java applet on the server together with your Ogg Theora content. And -
by all means - this is not supposed to be an end solution, but just a
fix to bridge the gap until all Browsers support the baseline codec.
The native support would always be preferential to any other fix.

And didn't MS stop including their "Java" in
recent OSs after they lost the court case with Sun?

I don't know enough about this subject, but I believe that you always
had to install a java VM to get java support in browsers (as you do
with flash). Wasn't the problem with MS and Java rather one of lack of
interoperability and standards conformance?

I am well aware that the Java solution is not perfect and native
support is heaps better. Therefore the need for the <video> element
and for an interoperable version with a common baseline codec.

Regards,
Silvia.