At 20:18  +0200 16/07/08, Dr. Markus Walther wrote:

get/setSample(<samplePoint> t, <sampleValue> v, <channel> c).

For the sketched use case - in-browser audio editor -, functions on sample regions from {cut/add silence/amplify/fade} would be nice and were mentioned as an extended possibility, but that is optional.

I don't understand the reference to MIDI, because my use case has no connection to musical notes, it's about arbitrary audio data on which MIDI has nothing to say.

get/set sample are 'drawing primitives' that are the equivalent of get/setting a single pixel in images. Yes, you can draw anything a pixel at a time, but it's mighty tedious. You might want to lay down a tone, or some noise, or shape the sound with an envelope, or do a whole host of other operations at a higher level than sample-by-sample, just as canvas supports drawing lines, shapes, and so on. That's all I meant by the reference to MIDI.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime