I think an interesting approach for an audio canvas would be to allow you to both manipulate audio data directly (through a getSampleData/putSampleData type interface), but also build up an audio filter graph, both with some predefined filters/generators and with the ability to do filters in javascript. Would make for some interesting possibilities, esp. if it's able to take <audio> as input.

I entirely agree. In my own proposal sofar I only mentioned simple time-domain ops (cut/add silence/fade) as filters - what would be the filters/generators on your wishlist?

-- Markus