Ian Hickson wrote:
I actually can't find where it is defined that the + in an HTTP URI represents a space. (I can find where it says that a space is to be converted into a +, but not the other way around.)

Where does it say that? Surely not RFC 2616? RFC 3986?

My understanding, though, is that the convention that + represents a space is not part of the URI syntax, but part of the syntax of the format used to encode the data into the URI, which for HTTP URIs is generally application/x-www-form-urlencoded. But nothing stops this format from

Yes: <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.4.1>

being used elsewhere, e.g. in the body of an e-mail or a POST submission.

I could be used, but I'm not sure it should. What's the advantage over representing SP as %20?

BR, Julian