On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:31:01 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de> wrote:
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
Well yes, and a subset of those is browser based. Besides that, most feed readers handle HTML. Do you think they should have two separate URL parsing functions?

Yes, absolutely.

Why?

I'm not convinced that having two ways of handling essentially the same thing is good.

It's unavoidable, as the relaxed syntax doesn't work in many cases, for instance, when whitespace acts as a delimiter.

Obviously you would first split on whitepace and then parse the URLs. You can still use the same generic URL handling.

In which case IRI handling should be totally sufficient.

I don't follow. I said "I'm not convinced that having two ways of handling essentially the same thing is good." Then you said "It's unavoidable". Then I pointed out it is avoidable. And then you say this. It doesn't add up.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/