On 11/28/09 3:44 PM, Jason Oster wrote:
The trouble with profiling my project is that it is a XULRunner
application, and does not run directly in web browsers as-is.

This is not an issue at all; any XULRunner application can be run in Firefox directly (with the right command-line flags). I'm happy to profile whatever set of operations you want for you in Firefox if you send me step-by-step instructions for performing that set of operations in your application, ideally with code pointers to the start and stop of the code to be profiled in your codebase. Probably offlist for all that... ;)

Of course if you have a Mac you can do all this yourself; Shark is an excellent tool.

Changeset 2b56c4771d5c reduced the number of pixel array elements
accessed by caching the 256px x 256px "rooms" within the stage map, and
passing the cached rooms to putImageData().

As opposed to doing what before the change?

My point, as you concur, is that setting four array elements
(properties) is slower than setting just one.

While true, it may not necessarily be slower than setting one if the value to set is more expensive to compute as a result, and may not be the bottleneck to start with. The latter is hard to determine without profiling. My gut feel is that at least in Gecko this is not likely to be a performance bottleneck right now, nor much of a win with the proposed change, if any. But again, that would be easier to judge (at least for the first part) with a profile.

-Boris