On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:32:33 +0200, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Ian Hickson <i...@hixie.ch> wrote:
Hmm, good point. Any other suggestions?

Mozilla has already added a number of extensions using just a "moz" prefix
... e.g. mozInnerScreenX, mozPaintCount, mozRequestAnimationFrame.

Webkit has added extensions using a "webkit" prefx ... e.g.
webkitDisplayingFullscreen.

In theory I guess that pattern could conflict with new features. But in
practice it doesn't seem likely unless new engines enter the market and
choose prefixes poorly. (I.e., don't choose a prefix that matches an English verb or noun.)

Note that this is for element attributes, not interface members. Having said that, vendor-name (i.e. a single dash) is probably sufficient. It seems highly unlikely we will ever use webkit-, ms-, o-, gecko- as an attribute name. In fact, iirc we follow the policy that new attribute names will not have hyphens in them, unless it is for some kind of pattern (like data-).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/