On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 00:15:27 +0200, Daniel Cheng <dch...@chromium.org> wrote:
Sorry, I'm using "properties" as a generic term for different types of data that might be set in a drag. A lot of file managers try to be helpful and
populate alternative metadata for a file. Some of this metadata contains
file system paths. If the web dragging clipboard mirrors the native dragging clipboard, then the metadata will be visible to web apps. In this example, if you were on Linux with my patch, you could call
event.dataTransfer.getData("x-special/gnome-icon-list") while handling a
drop and the returned string would contain the file system path.

It seems wrong to expose it in a way native to a particular operating system so it seems better to filter it out for now even if that is more work. We should keep web platform APIs OS-independent.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/