On 11/16/2010 4:05 PM, Daniel Cheng wrote:
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 14:48, Charles Pritchard <ch...@jumis.com <mailto:ch...@jumis.com>> wrote:

            When interacting with non-DOM apps or pages, some
            platforms can't easily
            convert arbitrary MIME types to native data transfer types for
            copy/paste or DnD. For this reason, I think the spec
            should explicitly
            list MIME types for which UAs should handle the conversion
            to native
            data transfer types. A couple that come to mind: text/plain,
            text/uri-list, text/rtf, application/rtf, text/html, text/xml,
            image/png, and image/svg+xml. UAs can make a best-effort
            attempt to
            convert the other types, but it won't be guaranteed that
            they will be
            there for interaction with non-DOM applications.

        I'm not sure what this means exactly. Could you elaborate?

    I don't think these need to be "converted" by a UA -- the
    application which
    receives the data does that conversion on its own.

    This is a good use case for "promise"-based data callbacks.

Automatic conversion is already implemented for some types (text, URL, and maybe HTML). It's just not explicitly mentioned in the spec. I'm not sure how a policy of no conversion would work; the clipboard mechanism/encoding varies greatly from platform to platform. With no automatic conversion, a page trying to read text from a drop would have to first sniff the operating system, choose the appropriate strategy for reading text, and then transcode the result to a DOMString.

Daniel

Sorry, I completely misunderstood this one. I thought you were referring to operations from the browser to the desktop.

The UA could handle conversion to image/png. It's low-hanging fruit.

Conversion from complex formats into markup is something that should be handled by the non-DOM app, not the UA.

Lacking decent markup conversion, a FileList is fine. I don't have to "sniff" the operating system,
I just have to be determined on what mime types I'm going to support.