On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:41:17 +0100, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:

One solution that could work here is to honour dynamic changes to 'preload', so switching preload to 'none' would stop buffering. Then a script could do that, for example, after the user has paused the video for ten seconds. The
script could also look at 'buffered' to make its decision.

The only difference between preload=none and preload=metadata is how much is fetched if the user doesn't interact at all with the video. Once the user has begun playing, I think the two mean the same thing: "please don't waste my bandwidth more than necessary". In other words, I think that for preload=metadata, browsers should be somewhat conservative even after playback has begun, not going all the way to the preload=auto behavior.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer