Hi,

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 01:52:47 +0300, David Bruant <bruan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Currently working on a web project where tablet support (iPad especially) is important, I'm facing a need which apparently the platform doesn't support.
I would need to lock the screen in landscape mode.

Not sure if WHATWG is doing anything, but in the W3C there is https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/screen-orientation/raw-file/tip/Overview.html in the Web Apps group (by Mounir, who works on Firefox OS as a day job)

I expect to know a bit more about the implementation status of this in about a week, when the group has a face to face meeting.

cheers

Chaals

I've been searching and StackOverflow suggested this is not possible [1][2][3][4]. The best solution that I have read online was to listen to orientation changes, update an "orient" attribute (on <body> or <html>) and change the CSS based on that. Or Media Queries. But I don't really want to play with either JavaScript or CSS, I don't really know why I should. Especially given that in some comments [1], it is suggested that it is possible to lock the orientation in native apps.

Beyond my current project, I have participated to a "FirefoxOS app days" in Bucharest (helped people developing their apps mostly answering their questions). A participant wanted to port his website (games for ~5yo kids) as an FirefoxOS app and told me clearly that if he had no way to lock the screen in landscape, he wouldn't be interested in FirefoxOS (pretty sharp opinion, but that's what he said). Fortunately, that's possible, but one has to use metadata to do so [5].

So I feel the need is there.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a <meta> (or whatever else is felt more relevant) to lock the orientation declaratively. It sounds like an information that belongs to the <head>. I feel the FirefoxOS experience [5] sets a good example.

Thanks,

David

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2772691/is-it-possible-to-prevent-iphone-ipad-orientation-changing-in-the-browser/2772748#2772748 [2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8738072/forcing-web-site-to-show-in-landscape-mode-only [3] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3217805/force-orientation-on-ipad-javascript [4] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1207008/how-do-i-lock-the-orientation-to-portrait-mode-in-a-iphone-web-application
[5] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Apps/Manifest#orientation

      cha...@yandex-team.ru         Find more at http://yandex.com