On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:02:48 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Jake Archibald <jaffathec...@gmail.com> wrote:
Causing a network error in existing browsers is a shame.

It seems to fail to resolve in IE10. It works in Gecko/WebKit/Blink/Presto: the %! is requested literally. However, both Apache and IIS seems to return 400 Bad Request.

It'd be great if
older browsers requested a url which included the zip location & the file
within, so the server could unpack the zip and deliver the right file.
Whereas modern browsers would request the zip & handle the unpacking
clientside. Although I guess that would break a load of stuff.

Picking something that could occur in paths seems problematic.

I'm not sure why it's more problematic than something than could occur in the fragment.

For instance, the string "$zip=" is not present at all in http://webdevdata.org/ data set 18/06/2013. So maybe we could use a string like that in the path and have a graceful fallback path in legacy browsers that work in existing servers.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software