On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
I think there's a big opportunity to substantially improve scroll
performance on the web in the relatively short term by doing something
incremental.  I.e. I'm pretty sure I can get major scroll-blocking libraries
like Google Analytics to opt into the pattern proposed here in a relatively
short timeframe.  I'm much less sure I could get them to switch to a
completely new event API in any sort of reasonable timeframe.

Either way they need to branch their code, no?

What do you think about an incremental path?  I don't see any fundamental
reason that things need to change drastically.

Overloading a boolean argument with a dictionary seems bad. And if we
are to have a new API anyway, we might as well pick the better names.

I'm a bit worried that figuring out what the "new better API" might take quite
a bit more time than
adding something to the existing one.

There is https://github.com/RByers/EventListenerOptions/issues/12 open
for the proposed API change, if we want to be more careful with backwards
compatibility.

If we can get consensus on the basic approach, then I'd be happy to rework
my proposal in the form of a pull-request and move all issue tracking to
whatwg/dom.  There's probably no point in doing that until we have an
agreement on the basic API shape, right?

Fair.