Ryan,

I do not use property models much, so that's part of the difference
between our points of view (our coding styles).  However, I do have at
least one page that uses one.  In that case, I forgo generics.  I define
raw types and set @SuppressWarnings("unchecked") on the methods that
access them:

JTextField tf = new JTextField(this, "stringProperty");

I would like to make the point that when I do use PropertyModels, I
usually throw away my component anyway (I don't usually assign it to a
variable) because I only really care about the Model and the data in it
anyway.  The above code snippet was just an example.

The @SuppressWarnings annotation tells the compiler to shut up and not
bother me about it 'cause I know what I'm doing.  The case that I
alluded to and Ivan asked about specifically is "What about those
components where generics really does matter?"  Two components that he
suggested really need generics are DropDownChoice and ListView.  There
are others, but this raises a point.  I think that the problem that the
wicket devs ran into early on is that either all components are
generified or none (because of the models).

I think that my statement before is still a valid and is strengthened
above.  If generic components are not appropriate for the code that you
are writing, don't use them.  It's OK.  It's better for you to have a
torx screwdriver in our common toolbox that you seldom use than to throw
it out and I have non, but need it daily.

Thanks,