Hmmm. I'm not convinced yet. I like it from a designer's perspective (not having to use id="wicket-[autolink]"), but really dislike it from a programmers perspective (implicit behaviour is scary).

Gili wrote:

        Jon and I would like to propose a replacement for autolinks.
Instead of users explicitly declaring [autolink], we'd automatically
convert <a href> tags to autolinks and treat their query string as page
parameters. This new approach is capable of replacing all preexisting
autolink functionality.

PRO:

- Automatic conversion of internal links to autolinks (as opposed to
having to explicitly declare them).

IMO this is not a PRO per se. Implicit behaviour can be quite fuzzy for users. Explicitly putting autolink in your pages has the advantage that it is allways clear whether something will be a wicket component, or will be rendered as is.

- We no longer run the risk of broken links resulting from developers
forgeting to link <a href> tags with Wicket pages.

Why is that? I can imagine developers (designers) forgetting id="wicket-[autolink]". Is that what you mean?

CON:

- Overhead of resolving the <a href> tags the first time the Page is
ever rendered. We need to resolve URLs to Wicket pages dynamically, and
cache them for future rendering.

Yech. Overhead == evil :). Just kidding; it's probably solvable right?

Eelco

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ Wicket-user mailing list Wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wicket-user