Yes, I thought about that later too. Pageable lists etc. are things you want to support for sure.

Eelco

Phil Kulak wrote:

Web islands can be nice, but I don't like the idea. Say I'm browsing a
pageable list. I go to page three, see some stuff, hit the back button
to go to page one again, then click a link. Wicket handles that
flawlessly right now. With a web island aproach my user would get an
error message and be taken back to the home page.

Why do you need to call a component on render phase? I can understand
the necessity of it in input phase, but when you render, you render a
whole page, so:
* _all_ components should be rendered;
* components should be rendered with _current_ state which was updated
just before.

True. This is how it works in Wicket. Calls are done in the action
phase, and in the render phase we just render what's there. Still, the
back button is something we want to support, so we need different url's
in case the page is versioned and it's structure changed. Otherwise we
would jump back from the page alltogether. And when that back button is
pushed, we need to recognize what version we need to roll back to before
doing any further processing.

This is like Echo is doing it, effectively killing back button support.

Yep, I like that, but at the same time I want to have some pages to be
bookmarkable. See below.

That's a choice you can make. We feel that - though we all hate it - the
back button is there, and should be support to at least some extend. We
actually had people on this list that told us they looked into Wicket as
they thought Echo went too far not supporting the back button.

How about this: you have pages... no, not pages, components, or
"locations". You can jump from location to location using Back and
Forward buttons, because they are identified by different address. But
within location all pages are rendered from one address, so you cannot
use Back button to move between pages of one location. I call this a
"web island". You can jump only between islands only. Why do you need
to have 5 login attempts, and then click Back 5 times, and see stale
pages with your attempts? This is *one logical page*, a login page. A
web island ;) You do not need to see all stale pages for it.

Yeah, I could live with that actually. It would mean you can't replace
panels etc on the same page, and expect it to work with the back button
- something we support now. Personally, however, I never liked the
recording hit and added record/ rollback complexity this introduced.
Furthermore, I wonder how many people are really relying on this feature.

I'd like more feedback from users and the other developers. Anyone
reading with us?

Eelco

Michael.