As a framework we can't do that yet i am afraid.
i think even 1.2 will be to soon. As wicket is a server tech and that is the one place that doesn't upgrade easy.

I personally also would like to generfy everything. But maybe if even J2EE that is released early next year (with EJB3)
everybody is pushed to 1.5 because of the heavy use of 1.5 features.

johan

Phil Kulak wrote:
I would love to see IModel defined as IModel<T>, personally. But I
don't know how that would shake out for < 1.5 people.

with 1.5 we could do compile time checking in the constructor of listview:

something like:
public ListView(final String id, final IModel<List> model)

Then that type safety is there. We only need then a maybe replacement
for List.

johan

Igor Vaynberg wrote:
Once again, I don't understand the flexibility issue. We were not
talking about replacing the imodel interface, but the list

interface,

both approaches can be wrapped in an imodel. What

flexibility do you lose?

Actually, I was. Having such a nested specific interface
nested would maybe solve one problem - the problem that in
some cases List isn't the ideal interface for ListView - but
I see more issues here. As one user said last week, it wasn't
immediately clear to him that ListView's models need to
return List instances. He found out not until runtime testing
it. This is where I could see space for improvement: by
having a special purpose model (e.g. like I proposed, but
combined with your suggestion it wouldn't force/ return a
list but another interface, or it would just /be/ that
interface) we would enhance type safety. We could prevent
users from using models that return wrong kinds of objects.
We can't prevent that now until runtime. On top of that,
there was the discussion about whether ListView and the List
interface were good matches.

I also do not think forcing a specific model interface onto a component at
such a high level is a good idea. You cannot do all the type checking at
compile time, at some point the programmer needs to know what they are
doing. What I was trying to achieve is a better low level interface that
makes it much easier to provide your own implementation if the default one
doesn't work for you.

Igor