Juergen Donnerstag wrote:

I'm all for making things easier for the user.

Perhaps Wicket could have something like this:

I'm not sure this makes sense. wicket:id is not a text to be displayed
anywhere. It is a name which identifies a component. It definitely
won't work.

Just a thought :-) (or maybe I am too intoxicated with Struts/Webwork/SpringMVC :-D. I am trying to get rid of it you know.)

Even better would be that it would recognize the message:label anywhere in
the HTML.  So for example, you could have:
<input type="submit" value="message:label.submit" />

That I think is possible. Acutally you can do it today already without
any changes to the core. You need to develop a IMarkupFilter and
append it to the list of existing ones invoked by MarkupFilter.

However you won't be able to handle "message: ...." within a tag body;
only tag attributes. How does Tapestry do it for body text?

An other option would be to run a kind of text based (not xml based)
pre-processor (like we do merging of inherited markup) prior to adding
the markup to the cache.

How likely is it that you'll find "message:" and it is not intended to
be a i18n text? How to escape it?

Lets say your message must contain a reference some other data, e.g.
"...${price}...". That won't be possible either. Only simple text. As
AttributeModifier is already able to handle it, "message:.." would be
for easy and straight forward replacements only, and AttributeModifer
to cover everything else.

Ah, and of course you loose preview capabilities, as the designer
won't the real message, he'd see "message:..." only.

And it might not the perfekt solution for high-speed up, because of
the (little) performance penalties involved. For high-speed up you can
still have myPage_en.html; myPage_nl.html etc may which as well cover
minor changes in the layout due to labels being of differents length;
right-to-left languages etc.

Juergen

In my app I never hard-code text so I'm constantly adding Labels to my
pages.  I was wondering if it would make sense to have a shortcut, similar
to how Tapestry does it, for dsplaying localization messages.  In Tapestry,
you can do this: title="message:page-title", where page-title is the lookup
into the property file.

Perhaps Wicket could have something like this:

Even better would be that it would recognize the message:label anywhere in
the HTML.  So for example, you could have:
<input type="submit" value="message:label.submit" />

Thoughts?

--Andrew