it processes because the url http://localhost/foo/index.html matches the /foo/* mapping. see the /foo/ in the url, the /foo/* mapping will match /foo/index.html fragment of the url.

i am assuming you are deploying the wicket app in the root context, so users should really be starting at http://localhost/index.html.

when your users hit http://localhost/foo/ it will be processed by the wicket servlet. since no page is specified the homepage will be retrieved.

does this clear things up?

On 2/14/06, Tom S. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Igor,

I meant something different. What happens, when the user enters the URL
http://localhost/foo/ in its browser? I guess, this address is sent to
the web server. If it is a passive one, it might redirect the browser to
http://localhost/foo/index.html (note, the directory is the same). But
the wicket-servlet tells the browser to try it again at
http://localhost/foo?page=0 (which is a different directory). Is this
correct so far?

Just curious, why does the wicket-servlet processes this request, when
the servlet-mapping is set to the URL-pattern "/foo/*"?

Tom

PS: Please excuse my trivial wordings, these are my first deeper steps
in webapp development.