+1 For both changes.

The constructor refactor would make my code neater and easier to read.

Java 1.5 support would be fantastic, it's been a while since I came across any company that didn't support 1.5, even the large ones that are akin to an ocean liners. There must be very few companies left out there that *on request* refuse to update their JRE.

Bryn

Martijn Dashorst wrote:
All,

We are of course very busy finalizing Wicket 1.2, and we /really/ hope
to get it done soon. This will benefit everyone. So I want to take a
look beyond 1.2 and try to get some opinions on our roadmap, and
adjust where appropiate.

There are two very big things ahead of us:
 - constructor refactor
        we have reached a limit to the support we want to provide
        for Ajax and javascript. In order to provide the best support
        we need to know the markup id before it is available. Many
        have been bitten by trying to retrieve an attribute from a
        component tag in the page constructor.
            We want to remedie this by removing the add() method,
        and replacing it with an extra parameter in the component
        constructor, which sets the parent of the component.

           public MyPage() {
                WebMarkupContainer c = new WebMarkupContainer("foo");
                c.add(new TextField("bar1"));
                c.add(new Label("bar2"));
                c.add(new Label("bar3"));
                add(c);
           }

           will become:

           public MyPage() {
               WebMarkupContainer c = new WebMarkupContainer(this, "foo");
               new TextField(c, "bar1");
               new Label(c, "bar2");
               new Label(c, "bar3");
           }

        This opens up a lot of better markup parsing strategies for the
        core. We know this is a major API break, but we feel it is necessary
        to implement it in order to move Wicket forward.

 - java 5 support
        This is something a lot of people are waiting for. I understand that
        many people want, Igor states /need/, Java 5 support in Wicket.

        There is also a negative side to this. Some, or even many of you,
        can't move to java 1.5 as a server platform. We don't know how
        many users this affects. Please give a response when you can't
        move to 1.5. As Wicket is a volunteer effort, we can only support
        so many projects. Supporting both a 1.4 and 1.5 project will
        drain our resources too far, and won't be possible. So we have to
        make a choice.

The questions I'm seeking answers to are the following:

 - should the post 1.2 version of Wicket involve both changes?
 - should we make different releases for either change, and thus
postponing 1.5 to
   Wicket 3?
 - how many of you still require for current or future projects to run
on JDK 1.4?
 - how many would object to having a retroweaver build of a JDK 5 Wicket, which
   enables you to run 1.5 code on a 1.4 JRE?

Thanks for your answers,

Martijn

--
Living a wicket life...