because it hasn't been extensively tested. As far as I'm aware you are
almost the only user of it. If you think it is stable enough and
doesn't interfere with any other features and/or functionalities than
it can be enabled by default.

I made some test to see if Aaron request for a markup file with
fragments only can be supported. There doesn't seem to be a simple
solution. A page referencing fragments defined in a Panel which is
also added to the Page defnitely doesn't work. We'd need a more
flexible approach to get the fragments markup stream.

Juergen

why dont we activate it by default?

-Igor

On 5/8/06, Juergen Donnerstag <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

On 5/8/06, Aaron Hiniker <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> <wicket:panel>
>
>     <wicket:fragment wicket:id="edit">  edit
</wicket:fragment>
>     <wicket:fragment wicket:id="view">  view
</wicket:fragment>

> </wicket:panel>
>
> throws:
>
> Caused by: java.text.ParseException: Unkown tag name with Wicket
namespace:
> 'fragment'. Might be you haven't installed the appropriate resolver?
>         at

wicket.markup.parser.filter.WicketTagIdentifier.nextTag(WicketTagIdentifier.java:104)
>         at

wicket.markup.parser.filter.TagTypeHandler.nextTag(TagTypeHandler.java:83)
>         at

wicket.markup.parser.filter.HtmlHandler.nextTag(HtmlHandler.java:86)
>         at

wicket.markup.parser.filter.WicketRemoveTagHandler.nextTag(WicketRemoveTagHandler.java:70)
>         at

wicket.markup.parser.filter.WicketLinkTagHandler.nextTag(WicketLinkTagHandler.java:101)
>         at

wicket.markup.parser.filter.BodyOnLoadHandler.nextTag(BodyOnLoadHandler.java:75)
>         at

wicket.markup.parser.filter.PrependContextPathHandler.nextTag(PrependContextPathHandler.java:109)
>         at

wicket.markup.MarkupParser.parseMarkup(MarkupParser.java:250)
>         ... 67 more

you need to register it. It is not yet activated by default
application.getPageSettings().addComponentResolver(new FragmentResolver());

> I'm not sure what the deal is.. this is RC3... although this works for me,
> and I can live with it for now:
>
> <wicket:panel>
>
> </wicket:panel>
>
> <fragment wicket:id="edit">  edit    </fragment>
> <fragment wicket:id="view">  view  </fragment>

This might work now, but might not in the future. It is definitely not
supported.

> [...]
accepts
> a ProfileItem.  The ProfileItem can by anything from an image, to a blog,
> a classified ad, etc, and the ProfileItemRenderer will instantiate these
> ProfileItem components on the fly (by querying the database for which
items
> should be place in the user's profile).  On a normal profile view, the
> ProfileItemRenderer will ask each ProfileItem for the "View" fragment.  If
> the user wants to edit their profile, the ProfileItemRenderer will ask
each
> ProfileItem for it's "Edit" fragment.  Since many of these components are
> very simple/basic, it would be really helpful to get all the markup in one
> file.
>

> Aaron
>

> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 23:16 -0700, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> it should work w/out the namespace
>
> the problem is that the fragment tag is outside of the panel, it should be
> inside
>
> so
>
> <wicket:panel>
> <wicket:fragment.....>
> </wicket:fragment>
> </wicket:panel>
>
> try that and see if it does the trick.
>
> -Igor
>

> On 5/7/06, Aaron Hiniker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, the "fragment provider" is a Panel.  The markup looks like this:
>
> <wicket:panel>
>
> </wicket:panel>
>
> <fragment wicket:id="edit"> ... </fragment>
>
> <fragment wicket:id="view"> ... </fragment>
>

> Since the component is providing fragments only, the "main" markup content
> is empty and I really don't wish/need to render it.  Only the fragments
that
> the container selects (Edit/View/etc).
>
> Btw..  wicket doesn't recognize <wicket:fragment> only <fragment> due to
> some namespace code in WicketTag or whatever.  I've tried adding a
namespace
> to <html> with no luck.  The fragments *do* load using <fragment>, it just
> doesn't seem like the intended behavior.
>

> Aaron
>

> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 23:03 -0700, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> the only components that can supply fragments are the ones that have
markup
> themselves - ie a page, a panel, or a border because the fragment has to
> live in someone's markup and those are the only ones that have it.
>
> so is your component a panel, a border, or a page?
>
> -Igor
>

> On 5/7/06, Aaron Hiniker <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> I am trying to encapsulate Edit/View/Select markup into one Component.  I
> want to set the mode, then add the Fragment to the parent container.
>
> My first attempts went something like this:
>

> parent.add( component.getFragment( "markupId", Mode.Edit ) );

> ... and in the component#getFragment(), something like this:
>
> public Component getFragment( String id, Mode mode )
{
if ( mode ==
> Mode.Edit )
return new Fragment( id, "edit", this );   // <-- the "this"
> forces markup from this component, right?

return new Fragment( id, "view"
> );
}

This throws a NPE:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
> wicket.markup.html.panel.Fragment.renderFragment
(Fragment.java:218)
>        at

wicket.markup.html.panel.Fragment.onComponentTagBody(Fragment.java:202)
>        at
> wicket.Component.renderComponent(Component.java:1662)

>   at wicket.MarkupContainer.onRender (MarkupContainer.java:917)
        at

wicket.Component.render(Component.java:1507)
        at

wicket.MarkupContainer.renderNext(MarkupContainer.java:1324)
> .... more ....

I saw a recent commit to Fragment#onComponentTagBody() by
> Eelco that will throw a more descriptive exception instead of this NPE
> indicating if the markup could not be found.

Specifically, in the source
> code it says that the "component used to load the fragment" must be in the
> page heirarchy.  Is this true?
A component cannot just provide fragments
> to container in the manner am I trying to illustrate above?  I basically
> need Edit/View/Select versions of

a component and I would like to put them
> all into the same markup file.

Aaron