Igor Vaynberg wrote:
and this is also what martijn showed you. notice that in his example both components are sharing the same model instance and thus share the same Date object.

the problem here is that the datepicker is not aware of the time portion of the date so it probably always overwriting it. in order to do what you want you need form components that will only change the parts of the date object they work on and preserve the rest.

class MyDatePicker extends WebMarkupContainer {
  public MyDatePicker(String id, final IModel dateModel) {

     add(new DatePicker("dp", new AbstractModel() {
            getObject(Component c) {
                  return model.getObject(c);

this will return '06/02/2006 11:00', so the text field will show all of it. i
need something like getDatePart(dateModel.getObject(c))

            }

            setObject(Component c, Object o) {
                  Date date=(Date)o;
                 Date full=dateModel.getObject(c);
                 // merge the date portion of d into full
                 dateModel.setObject(c, full);

right, but say the original date is '06/02/2006 11:00', the user modifies the
first text edit to 06/03/2006 and the second to 12:00. since each will call
setObject independently, then the Date object in the model will first be
'06/03/2006 11:00' and then '06/03/2006 12:00'. the first value is not a valid
value. what if the original model is some proxy, where when set with a value it
takes some action (saves to db), then two such calls will be made, one with the
wrong value

            }
      }));
    add(new TextField("time", new AbstractModel() {...do the same}));

-Igor