It's something we probably will try to get rid of for Wicket 2.0;
instead of the pessimistic, register first approach we have now, we
can choose an optimistic approach which will allow disallow in a
similar fashion as file filters work.

imagine this situation w/out the use of initializer

you have a cluster where you do not use sticky sessions

user comes to node A and requests a page. this page binds a bunch of
resources that image components on this page need. browser starts to render
one of these image components and makes a resource to the resource url it
needs. this request now comes to node B of the cluster. on node B no one has
ever accessed this page before so none of its resources have been bound yet,
so now one of the images will get a 404.

the initializer makes sure that all resources are bound on all nodes at
startup time not at first-access time so the situation above does not occur.

hope this is clear enough

-Igor

 On 5/10/06, smallufo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can somebody explain the purpose of PackageResource.bind() in IInitializer
?

> I tried to remove PackageResource.bind(application , Foo.class ,
"bar.gif") in IInitializer
> and ... keeps the following code intact in Page/Panel
> add(new Image("myImage" , new PackageResourceReference(Foo.class,
"bar.gif")));

> and the whole application works fine , images correctly shown. (I am sure
the IInitializer.init() is executed)

> I just get confused. What is the purpose of PackageResource.bind in
IInitializer ?
> In the JavaDoc , it says for some reason about sticky session or cluster
... But I am still not clear...

> If it is for the purpose of sticky session or cluster ... why do we need
to duplicate some very similar code ?