The doctype is xhtml transitional. But there's an additional comment (<!-- -->) before doctype to trick IE and make it work in quirks mode. (Because in standard compliance mode IE uses the W3C box model, which sucks). This should work with strict too. Also <?xml header would do this, but wicket is kind of reluctant to print it, so i just put comment there).

So far, this setup works (tested) for Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, IE5.0+.
Only thing i'm not sure with is IE7. If it won't be fooled by comment before doctype and won't allow to set box-sizing in standard compliance mode there will be a problem. I hope MS engineers are sane enough to implement box-sizing css property, which is currently supported by any decend browser (except for IE of course).

-Matej

Johan Compagner wrote:
So you are saying that it is possible to support many browser to get border-box?

hmm that would solve so many problems we have...

So you let IE stay in quircks mode and have for firefox that -moz-box-sizing: border-box; and for other browsers (maybe IE7) the CSS3? standard: box-sizing: border-box;

What is your doctype?

johan

On 5/18/06, *Matej Knopp* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Igor Vaynberg wrote:
     > allow myself to quote...myself
     >
     > || imho, html is the best layout manager out there for browser
    apps. add
     > css to the mix and you have a great skin manager as well.
     >
     > i never said css was great for layout manager :) and yes the box
    model
     > is broken.
    The box model really is broken. Therefore I always stick with IE box
    model

                            * {
                                    box-sizing: border-box;
                                    -moz-box-sizing: border-box;
                            }

    The only thing to take care of is not to allow IE6 to work in
    standard-compliance mode. So far, I had no problems with this setup. I'm
    doing quite complicated layouts using just css (no tables) and
    everything works fine. I just hope that IE7 won't screw everything up.

    -Matej

     > -Igor
     >

     > On 5/17/06, *Johan Compagner* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     > <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>> wrote:
     >
     >     ha! and css is easier then layout manager in java...
     >     hmm that is not how i see it.
     >     CSS is just plain horrible stupid box thing..
     >
     >     And what is a layout manager in css? There isn't one
    everything is
     >     sort of absoluut positioned and then you can do in swing also
     >     (not recommended ofcourse)
     >
     >     johan
     >

     >     On 5/17/06, *Igor Vaynberg* < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     >     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >> wrote:

     >         imho, html is the best layout manager out there for browser
     >         apps. add css to the mix and you have a great skin
    manager as well.

     >         the one thing you always hear swing developers bitching
    about is
     >         how they have to fight the layout managers to get the results
     >         they want. gridbaglayout is poweful but its a huge pain
    to work
     >         with.
     >
     >         matisse+grouplayout are the holy grail for swing devels, its
     >         nice and easy to create layouts. but it still requires a
    gui to
     >         do this, while i can do html easily by hand. also browser
    screen
     >         space doesnt translate easily to the desktop space. in
    desktop
     >         space you are pixel aware, you are also pixel aware of your
     >         fonts and the south east corner of the window. in html
    you have
     >         none of these things.
     >
     >         look at wingS framework examples, they use layout
    managers. look
     >         how rectangular their examples look.
     >
     >         -Igor
     >

     >         On 5/17/06, *Frank Silbermann *
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     >         <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>> wrote:

     >             I, personally, don't care for HTML, and perhaps I
    might enjoy
     >             programming in Echo2 better.
     >
     >             But suppose an employer maintained an HTML fragment with
     >             links to their
     >             entire portfolio of web applications, and wanted this
     >             fragment to appear
     >             on every page of each web application.  Since someone
    else is
     >             maintaining that scrap and keeping it up-to-date, I would
     >             not want to
     >             translate it into Echo 2 and maintain my own copy.
     >
     >             Would it not likely be easier to incorporate such an HTML
     >             scrap into a
     >             Wicket application, versus one written in a framework
    such
     >             as Echo 2
     >             that abstracted away the HTML completely?

    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     >             <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
     >             [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]