I want to add some thoughts about how NOT to do it. Its for completeness sake.

    @entiy
     class BeanB ...
          private BeanA;
          @ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
          public BeanA getBeanA()

I solved the problem with fetch=FetchType.EAGER. This has a serious impact on performance but it will get you going.

c) never do a direct access. Always send the bean back to the server and do the loading on the server

I dont know exactly what you mean with this.

In our setup we had value objects guarding the beans. Again, this is the way not to do it. We "designed" for EJB 2.1 and introduced value objects to pass information in and out of beans. Then the client wanted cutting egde EJB 3.0 with an old buggy jboss version. In the end we had (EJB 3.0) stateless beans which used entity beans which returned value objects. So we did not passed the entity bean POJOs but some VOs.

Again, dont try this at home. Its for your interest and hopefully for your amusement.

Ricky

PS
Its interesting: I changed nearly all eager statements to lazy statements to evaluate the problem again but its simply working now. I am not sure why or if the situation is not compatible with the given scenario but my application throws no exceptions...