>and for a portal this xml you /will/ want to have
> configurable at deployment time in order to configure what portlets/services
> are available to the portal - so even with ejb3 this kind of stuff still has
> to be in some external config.

I was actually thinking about that the other day...you're absolutely
right on that point, it has to be externalized somehow.

I don't see how Spring couldn't be used to compliment EJB 3.0 in the
regard.  Spring could be used to externalize modular resources, i.e.
portlets whereas EJB3 could do what it does best...persistence and
simple transaction demarcation.