Well, this was the first app I've ever built w/ EJB technology of
*any* version...it's sort of a pilot app for future in-house
efforts....so far it's worked out great.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that if I do not
store the stub to the interface of the stateful bean in an HTTP
session - I may lose the reference to that bean the next time I call
it.

So, I'm calling the stateful bean and storing a reference to it in
http session so I can recall that exact instance back from the server
later.  This is how it was done in the app that is currently running
in production on JBoss.